......i cant believe that people want like $2k for these things....anyway....here's mine finished ready for some grinding, and painting and lining and bla bla.
rudd, when you weld a tank like this , especially one that has decayed significantly internally, you will be using very low heat. if you look at the top photo after the full run of weld you will be able to see the extremity of the heat following the weld...like 20mm each side of the weld.....thats not to say that if you really pump the heat into the job that you will not get any distortion....however, if you tack the job together in intervals around the job, as in the second photo first, this will in effect "close" the job and strengthen the tank prior to the final pass of welding.
i take rests periodically throughout the process ...due to the cycle length of my welder...and this allows the job to cool...and thus avoid distortion
so...to your question....it doesnt affect the shape of it....not majorly anyway...but what does your question mean when you say...you want to "cut and make one off it"
Thanks for the good explanation!my question..I'm working on my englisch..With a shovel tank you have two tanks.One left,on right on the frame.I would like to cut those both halves for a big part and then make a nice tank out of it.Now I know how it work an I onderstand what you mean..watch the heat and let it cool for a couple of times!Thanks!
rudd, are you still going to have two tanks or are you going to join them?.....or are you narrowing the two tanks.....if you are narrowing them ...good on you...nothing looks better than a good set of narrowed tanks....
6 comments:
How dos the heat from TIG welding affect the shape of the tank?I recently bough an old Shovel tank that I want to cut and make one off it..
rudd, when you weld a tank like this , especially one that has decayed significantly internally, you will be using very low heat. if you look at the top photo after the full run of weld you will be able to see the extremity of the heat following the weld...like 20mm each side of the weld.....thats not to say that if you really pump the heat into the job that you will not get any distortion....however, if you tack the job together in intervals around the job, as in the second photo first, this will in effect "close" the job and strengthen the tank prior to the final pass of welding.
i take rests periodically throughout the process ...due to the cycle length of my welder...and this allows the job to cool...and thus avoid distortion
so...to your question....it doesnt affect the shape of it....not majorly anyway...but what does your question mean when you say...you want to "cut and make one off it"
Thanks for the good explanation!my question..I'm working on my englisch..With a shovel tank you have two tanks.One left,on right on the frame.I would like to cut those both halves for a big part and then make a nice tank out of it.Now I know how it work an I onderstand what you mean..watch the heat and let it cool for a couple of times!Thanks!
rudd, are you still going to have two tanks or are you going to join them?.....or are you narrowing the two tanks.....if you are narrowing them ...good on you...nothing looks better than a good set of narrowed tanks....
good luck mate.
m
No Matt,I'm going to narrow them.then weld the tanks together.At the end I only have one tank!I will give you a sign when the are ready! Thanks mate..
no worries man.
Post a Comment